Voting: what our judges (and you) look out for in great visualization
Now that the 2019 Shortlist is out, you can vote for your favourite piece in each category.
It might be helpful to consider what our panel of judges look out for in a successful data visualization or infographic:
- Is it interesting? Is the idea thought-provoking? Topical? Funny? Good story well told?
- Is it accurate? Consistent data? Reliable research? Clever methodology?
- Is it useful? Does it work well? Good information flow? Does it deepen understanding?
- Is it beautiful? Does design serve subject matter? Is it elegant? Clear? Distinctive?
- "Je ne sais quoi": Originality, unexpected twists, creative flair, new angle on old subject
- Red flags: Anything too technical, or succeeds on only one or two dimensions
To see how these elements work together, hop over to Information is Beautiful founder David McCandless's What Makes a Good Visualization