Introducing the 2022 Judges
With the announcement of the 2022 IIB Awards Shortlist last week, we’re also excited to share the judges who helped us judge over 1,000 entries this year, and who will select the final winners that will be announced at the Awards Ceremony and live on Twitter on November 30th.
Our judges represent a mix of data visualization experts from different domains, countries, and languages. They include past Award winners, professors, acclaimed designers, and experts in domains related to this year’s award categories.
By the numbers…
- There are 49 volunteer judges supporting this year’s Awards.
- Across the judging panel, more than 20 different languages are represented, with the largest share of judges fluent in English, Spanish, German, and Mandarin.
- Approximately two-thirds of the judges have served as judges in previous Award seasons; the other third are new judges, bringing a mix of experience in these types of competitions.
By recruiting judges fluent in a wide range of languages, we’ve worked to ensure submissions are judged in their original language rather than relying on translations.
The judges for this year’s Awards are listed below:
- Alberto Cairo | United States | Knight Chair in Visual Journalism at the University of Miami
- Alessandro Zotta | Italy | Senior Data Visualization Designer at Accurat
- Amanda Montanez | United States | Graphics Editor at Scientific American
- Amanda Makulec | United States | Executive Director at Data Visualization Society
- Amy Cesal | United States | Senior Design Director of Data Visualization at Morning Consult
- Andy Cotgreave | United Kingdom | Senior Data Evangelist at Tableau
- Angel Velarde | United States | Data Consultant at U.S. Office of Personnel Management
- Attila Bátorfy | Hungary | Head Of Operations at ATLO Team
- Benjamin Wiederkehr | United States | Managing Director at Interactive Things
- Brian Kwok | Hong Kong SAR | Associate Professor at the School of Design, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Bronwen Robertson | United Kingdom | Co-founder at Data4Change
- Chris DeMartini | United States | Senior Director for Data Experience at Visa
- Chrys Wu | United States | Founder at Matchstrike
- Daisy Chung | United States | Graphics Journalist at Reuters Graphics
- David McCandless | United Kingdom | Founder at Information is Beautiful
- Duncan Swain | United Kingdom | Co-Founder and Creative Director at Beyond Words Studio
- Emma Prest | Greece | Chief Technology Officer at Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
- Eric Lin | United States | Principal Product Designer at CNN Digital
- Hannah Machlin | United Kingdom | Advocacy Manager at Small Media Foundation
- Jan Willem Tulp | The Netherlands | Data Experience Designer at TULP interactive
- Jeffrey Shaffer | United States | Joseph S. Stern Professor of Practice and Assistant Professor-Educator at University of Cincinnati
- Jerome Cukier | United States | Software Engineer at Google
- Jonathan Schwabish | United States | Senior Fellow at Urban Institute & PolicyViz
- Julia Wolfe | United States | Graphics Editor, The Americas at Reuters
- Kaliz Lee | Hong Kong SAR | Infographic Artist at South China Morning Post
- Katie McCurdy | United States | Founder at Pictal Health
- Kaushik Kompella | United States | Senior Business Intelligence & Analytics Engineer at Amazon
- Kim Albrecht | Germany | Director at metaLAB (at) Harvard & FU Berlin
- Krisztina Szűcs | Hungary | Data Visualization Designer at krisztinaszucs.com
- Kuang Keng Kuek Ser | Malaysia | Data Editor at The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting
- Kuhu Gupta | United States | Data Visualization Engineer at Illumio
- Leng Montgomery | United Kingdom | Senior Manager - Global Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Burberry
- Mahadia Tunga | Tanzania | Co Founder and Director Data Science, Research and Capacity Development at Tanzania Data Lab/ University of Dar es Salaam
- Mark Palmer | United States | Board Advisor at Correlation One, Data Visualization Society and Talkmap
- Marwa Boukarim | Italy | Graphic Design Consultant at Our World in Data
- Moritz Stefaner | Germany | Operator at Truth & Beauty
- Nadieh Bremer | The Netherlands | Data Visualization Artist at Visual Cinnamon
- Neil Richards | United Kingdom | Regional BI Lead at JLL
- Nigel Hawtin | United Kingdon | Visual Communication and Information Director at Nigel Hawtin Information Design
- Paolo Ciuccarelli | United States | Professor of Design at Northeastern University, Boston
- Pedro Jiménez | Spain | Visual Journalist / Professor / PhD in progress at Vocento / Valencia Plaza / Freelance
- Rachel Binx | United States | Data Visualization Engineer Freelancer
- Shirley Wu | United States | Independent Creator of Data Visualizations
- Simon Kuestenmacher | Australia | Co-Founder & Director at The Demographics Group
- Sung Hwan Jang | Republic of Korea | Creative Director & CEO at Infographics Lab 203
- Surasti Puri | United Kingdom | Visual Designer at Small Media Foundation
- Weiyi (Dawn) Cai | United States | Graphics/Multimedia Editor at The New York Times
- Wesley Grubbs | United States | Chief Creative Officer at Pitch Interactive, Inc.
And don’t forget - you also get a vote in the Community Vote Special Award, which is selected based on votes from the public for their favorite submission from the short list! Watch for more details on the launch of the community vote.