Protected Nature by Ben McLardy
Protected natural areas of land and water in the UK and Ireland.
This includes areas protected by international, European and national laws.
Even on our crowded islands, we can provide sanctuary for nature, and for ourselves.
The map includes the following areas:
- Ramsar wetland areas protected by international treaty.
- Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protection Areas protected by European Union directive.
- Marine Conservation Zones, Nature Conservation Marine Protected Area, Sites of Special Scientific Interest, Areas of Special Scientific Interest, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, National Scenic Areas, and National Parks, all protected by national laws.
The map does not include protected areas around the Isle of Man, as detailed data is not available in the public domain.
Protected land is coloured magenta. Protected water is coloured turquoise.
// Data Source
- © Crown Copyright, 2015. All rights reserved. License No. EK001-20140401. Not to be used for Navigation.
- © Natural England copyright. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2022.
- © OpenStreetMap contributors https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/index.html
- © NIEA, 2019
- Contains Natural Resources Wales information © Natural Resources Wales and Database Right. All rights Reserved.
- Contains Ordnance Survey Data. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019741. Crown Copyright and Database Right.
- Contains public sector data from © JNCC/DOENI 2016. Contains OS data © Crown Copyright and database right 2016.
- Contains public sector data from © JNCC/NE/NRW/SNH 2019. Contains OS data © Crown Copyright and database right 2016.
- Contains public sector data from © JNCC/NE/NRW/SNH/DOENI 2019. Contains OS data © Crown Copyright and database right 2019.
- Contains SNH information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.
- Copyright Government of Ireland. This dataset was created by National Parks and Wildlife Service, Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage. This copyright material is licensed for re-use under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- Copyright Scottish Government, contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2022
This image is available for use under the CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/). Attribution: Original image by Ben McLardy at We Do Prints (https://www.wedoprints.com).